For those interested, here is table illustrating the costs of my trip to Malawi. It only takes into account the preparatory phase of the trip and leaves aside the costs of life in the country (I will post a couple of articles about that while I am here). Nevertheless, the table can be a valuable tool for those willing to go on a similar expedition since it takes into consideration:
- price of the airline ticket;
- price of most necessary vaccinations/medicine;
- price of insurance.
The following points should be kept in mind:
- the prices are as cheap as they could get. (Almost constantly) on a tight budget, I chose the most affordable options I could find;
- the prices for vaccination and insurance correspond to prices in Sweden;
- the trip is confined to 3 months (French and Italian citizens can stay in Malawi during 3 months without any visa*).
*However one needs to pay 5,000 Malawian kwachas (almost 10 US dollars) per month after the first month.